Since 1960, The Ministry of Transport introduced MOT test to allow only those vehicles on the road that are safe. These MOT tests can be taken directly or through agents like garages, internet websites, and authorized dealers.
The prices of MOT test can range from £25 to £75 depending upon the agent you choose. In case you are caught for driving an automobile without MOT you can fined for £1000.
It is better to visit a garage to get the MOT, as they can fix if there is any problem that can un-fit your car. This method can increase the amount of spending for getting the MOT. You can reduce the cost if you keep your vehicles up right by maintaining and frequent repairs. Mind it, MOT can be tedious but it helps to keep your safety during driving.
Getting an MOT can be a difficult process as it can be failed due to very small thing. Therefore, it is better to check few things before taking your car in for the test. Remember that the MOT generally includes Vehicle identification number (VIN), registration plate, lights, steering and suspension, wipers and washers, windscreen, horn, seat belts and seats, doors, mirrors, wheels and tires, brakes, fuel system, exhaust system, and vehicle emissions. Things needed to be checked before MOT can be interior or exterior.
The interior checks before inspection may include;
- Check for illuminated or inoperative warning lights
- Front and rear seats must be locked in upright position
- Seat belts must be in properly working condition
- Horn must be working
- Check your mirrors especially the rear-view mirror
The exterior checks before inspection may include;
- Check the suspension by applying weight on each side of the vehicle
- Exhaust or mountings should not be missing and nothing’s hanging loose
- Check the fuel tank components especially hoses, pipes, and cap
- Footbrake and hand brake must be working
- The wipers and washers should be working well
- The tires must be of the right size and type
- Car lights must be working
- The registration plate must be tightly fixed
- All doors must open and close freely
- Car body should be free from excessive corrosion or damage
- Check the engine for any leakage
- brake fluid reservoir and oil must be topped up
In case of failing the MOT
The failure in MOT means you need to have a major repair. The certificate will clearly say what needs to be done. After the repair you need to reappear in the test. This time the inspector may only check the repairs and award the MOT, it one cannot be cent percent sure. Depending upon the type and scale of repair you can also get a free re-test or a reduced rate for the re-test.
The certificate may say that you have passed the MOT but you need few repairs like your tires are worn out. These things must be repaired or replaced before appearing to the MOT test next year.
These checks might take few minutes but if you need a repair or re-test, it can take more than ever. It is recommended that vehicle must be checked before taking the MOT or select a professional garage to avoid inconvenience. You can toggle through our website to get a professional garage in a reasonable amount.